Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spiderhouse

I'm sitting at Spiderhouse cafe in Austin, Texas. Though not entirely outdoors, its main draw is the wacky setup outside, filled with cracked sculptures and fossilized bikes and bathtubs:

Spiderhouse XV


Here, you can drink your latte while watching a child continuously piss:

Spiderhouse III


I once came to this cafe and went home to watch an episode of The Simple Life. Midway through the episode, completely unexpectedly, Paris Hilton comes to this very cafe!

I see they've erected this piece in her memory:

Spiderhouse XI

Naughty sculpture.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

That's hot.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Althouse Cohen said...

Maybe it's an homage.

1:41 PM  
Blogger angieoh! said...

I am a big fan of wacky sculptures... these don't quite seem super wacky though... just fun. Looking forward to more of your blog!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Chris Althouse Cohen said...

angieoh!: I said a wacky setup, not wacky sculptures. The wackiness comes from the conflict between the style of the sculptures, the old Coca Cola barrel, random objects like the motorcycle and the iron board, and the cafe itself.

9:03 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

This just in. . .

Paris has changed her catch-phrase to 'That's Sexy'.

Please keep this in mind for future deployment in parodying that vapid celebutante.

(and yes, I'm ashamed that I know this)

Also I guess community standards where you are differ from Orlando's.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home